Saturday, May 14, 2011

I Choose Nostalgia



I googled: I choose Nostalgia, not some hackneyed inspirational word.

I know I am late to this party, but the other day I spotted Shepard Fairey's Obama Hope poster. Like most pieces of art that experience a meteoric rise, Fairey's poster has been relegated the coffers of pop-culture.
I can't speak on the artistic or political impact this poster has had since its debut. If I had to judge by its prevalence and by the parodies it spawned, then it at least had the capacity to breakthrough our collective solipsism--and this I think attests to some of its worth.

Because it's easier to dream and to scowl at ham-handed fate, I sometimes choose nostalgia. Hope and change are great, but to effect hope and change I think to look back and to dream is one step that cannot be overlooked.

So here's another take on Fairey's poster I designed. It features John F. Kennedy, a symbol for American bygone better days.

No comments:

Post a Comment